Monday 19 September 2016

CPD Science

On the 14th of November I attended a science CPD session run by SSERC and attended by teachers within the Stirling and Clackmannanshire councils.

I selected the workshops titled Ice Ice Baby, which focused on the use of ice as a resource to teach science.

We participated in three difference activities in the session and started of by being given a present, which turned out to be an ice-block with a frozen lego figure inside. We were challenged to get the figure out as quickly as we could. This could be part of a lesson on states, thermodynamics or insulating materials.

Then we looked at ice gardens and how they could be used in class to introduce a range of topics such as density, seasons, etc.





    Our final activity was to make ice-cream using ice, salt and milkshake. This activity seemed to me to be the most engaging one for students, as they get to eat something at the end, but I wondered who would take on the responsibility of paying for the resources. Therefore it seemed like an experiment I would be unlikely to use in my classes.

    I had a great afternoon at the session and found learning about SSERC and it's activities around the council and country to be very interesting. I would love to attend further workshops they run.

    The CPD will impact my teaching practice by increasing the variety of scientific topics I look at with the classes I teach. My ability to implement science into my programme is dependent on the requirements of the school and each class so hopefully I will be given an opportunity to use my new learning in my teaching. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment